Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT)
Current BLS (Healthcare Provider) CPR Certification
Current certification or licensure as Emergency Medical Technician
The AEMT course is a step between the EMT and the Paramedic certification. Current EMT certification or licensure is required prior to entry into the AEMT course; however, AEMT certification is not required for entry into the paramedic course. This course is offered on an as needed basis only.
|Prescribed AEMT Credits||10|
|Spring Semester (On Demand)|
|EMS 160||Advanced EMT (AEMT) - Lecture I||3|
|EMS 161||Advanced EMT (AEMT) - Lecture II||3|
|EMS 165||Advanced EMT (AEMT) - Hospital Clinical||1|
|EMS 168||Advanced EMT (AEMT) - Field Internship||1|
|EMS 170||Advanced EMT (AEMT) - Skills Lab||2|
All AEMT classes must be taken and completed in one semester.
Successful completion with a "C" or higher is required in all program courses to be eligible to take the National Registry Certification examination for Advanced Emergency Medical Technicians.
AEMT Application Process
Spring: December 1st
- Admission to Bismarck State College.
- Apply as "Pre-Paramedic Technology" or as "non-degree seeking".
- Check Campus Connection to ensure all of your "To Do List" items have been completed. Students cannot be admitted to the AEMT course if they are not admitted to BSC due to an incomplete Admission file.
- Note: Pre-Paramedic Technology requires placement assessments in Math, English, and Reading.
- Complete application for AEMT course: AEMT Application.
- Submit applications to: Bismarck State College, EMS/Paramedic Program Director, PO Box 5587, Bismarck, ND 58506.
- Complete the interview process with the EMS/Paramedic Program Director.
- Interview will be scheduled once the course application is received and reviewed.
- Following a successful application and interview process, students will be offered placement into the course as space allows. Students accepting this offer will need to pay a $100 tuition deposit.
- Upon acceptance into both BSC and the AEMT course:
- Students will attend program orientation and registration. There is no registration for EMS courses prior to this day. We will schedule this orientation and registration day after acceptance to the course.
- Following acceptance, students will need to complete the CastleBranch Compliance Tracker ($153 student expense) to ensure the following requirements are met:
- AHA BLS (Healthcare Provider) CPR
- Background/Exclusions Check
- No felony convictions. Misdemeanors will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- MMR- 2 vaccinations or titer (blood test).
- Varicella- 2 vaccinations or positive titer (blood test). (We cannot accept a statement or doctor note stating that you have had chickenpox or shingles.)
- Tuberculosis (TB)- 2 step TB skin test or QuantiFERON or T-SPOT.TB or negative chest x-ray.
- Tetanus (Td/Tdap)- Current up to date (within 10 years).
- Hepatitis B series- 3 doses of vaccine or titer (blood draw); recommended, not required.
- Current year influenza vaccination- due November 1 for Fall semesters.
- 12 Panel Drug Screen
- Forms are available only from the EMS/Paramedic Program Director.
- Current State Licensure or National Registry Certification at the Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Level.
For additional information or questions contact:
Kelli Sears, BS, NR-Paramedic at 701-224-2695 or email firstname.lastname@example.org