Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
Current BLS (Healthcare Provider) CPR Certification
The EMT course is designed for those wishing to become entry level patient care providers and provide basic life support with ambulance services, fire departments, law enforcement, security, and a variety of other settings. EMS certification is also required to advance to the higher levels of Emergency Medical Services certification such as the Advanced EMT and the Paramedic. Current Healthcare Provider (BLS) CPR is required for entry into the course.
|Prescribed EMT Credits||7|
|Fall or Spring Semester|
|EMS 110||Emergency Medical Technician||4|
|EMS 115||Emergency Medical Technician - Hospital||1|
|EMS 118||Emergency Medical Technician - Field Internship||1|
|EMS 120||EMT Skill Lab||1|
All EMT classes must be taken and completed in one semester.
Successful completion with a "C" or higher is required in all program courses to be eligible to take the National Registry Certification examination for Emergency Medical Technicians.
EMT Application Process
Fall: July 20th
Spring: December 1st
- Admission to Bismarck State College.
- Apply as "Pre-Paramedic Technology" or as "non-degree seeking."
- Check Campus Connection to ensure all of your "To Do List" items have been completed. Student cannot be admitted to the EMT course if they are not admitted to BSC due to an incomplete Admission file.
- Note: Pre-Paramedic Technology requires placement assessments in Math, English, and Reading.
- Complete application for EMT course: EMT Application.
- Submit applications to: Bismarck State College; EMS/Paramedic Program Director; PO Box 5587; Bismarck ND 58506.
- Complete the interview process with the EMS/Paramedic Program Director.
- Interview will be scheduled once the course application is received and reviewed.
- Following a successful application and interview process, students will be offered placement into the course as space allows. Students accepting this offer will need to pay a $100 tuition deposit.
- Upon acceptance into both BSC and the EMT course:
- Students will attend program orientation and registration. There is no registration for EMS courses prior to this day. We will schedule this orientation and registration day after acceptance to the course.
- Following acceptance, students will need to complete the Castlebranch Compliance Tracker ($153 student expense) to ensure the following requirements are met:
- AHA BLS (Healthcare Provider) CPR
- Background/Exclusions Check
- No felony convictions. Misdemeanors will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- MMR- 2 vaccinations or titer (blood test).
- Varicella- 2 vaccinations or positive titer (blood test). (We cannot accept a statement or doctor note stating that you have had chickenpox or shingles.)
- Tuberculosis (TB)- 2 step TB skin test or QuantiFERON or T-SPOT.TB or negative chest x-ray.
- Tetanus (Td/Tdap)- Current up to date (within 10 years).
- Hepatitis B series- 3 doses of vaccine or titer (blood draw); recommended, not required.
- Current year influenza vaccination- due by November 1 for Fall semesters.
- 12 Panel Drug Screen
- Forms are available only from the EMS/Paramedic Program Director.